Moorlands Farm has played an important part in the history of the popular South Somerset village of Merriott.
A date stone discovered on one of the buildings puts earliest construction in 1708. Over the years the farm was extended and around 1850 the owner, William Fitchett Cuff, created a model farm. Moorlands Farm became a new age, self sufficient farm, nothing was wasted and all aspects of farm production came together with ‘modern’ efficiency. In the 1871 census CUFF, William Fitchett is listed as 'Head W 66 Landowner 250 acres, employing 15 men 2 women and 5 boys'. He died 2nd April 1876 and is buried in the Merriott church yard where the Cuff family have a prominent tomb stone.
The farm was last sold as a going concern in 1970 by the Rumsby family and had been in steady decline over the following 50 years. The last use of the buildings was as a storage area for one of the large Market Gardening companies in Merriott with the land used for growing sapling trees and bushes before they were moved to the nurseries on the other side of the village.
Moorlands Farm is a rare surviving example of South Somerset agricultural buildings, with its narrow “street” between the barns and cottages. This part of the development is being restored to form the core of the scheme, with the courtyard and lane of new and remodeled homes, each individually laid out and with extensive use of local materials.